Thursday, August 19, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love for PR

So I haven't seen the movie Eat, Pray, Love. I'm sure it's amazing, inspirational and with a message that will touch a lot of people who need a touchstone right now. What I do know, is that I've been on a bit of an EPL journey myself over the last year.

It has been a great experience - travel, new opportunities, starting a business, prioritizing time for family & friends, being a better mom, and finding joy in the present. My only rule to myself is to say "yes" to everything (well, okay, not EVERYTHING - I don't get to eat my kitchen in the morning). When I say everything, I mean any opportunity that in my "previous life" I might have hesitated, or found an excuse, or said "no" to out of fear. I also renounce anything in both my business and personal life that doesn't serve my best interests - people, events, habits or ideals that are negative or "energy-draining."

How has that served over the past year? Well, I ran a marathon. Wrote a book, became a speaker & became a columnist for two large pubs. Went to England, Canada & South Africa. Became Girl Friday & found the best clients ever. Became a yoga instructor & started to understand that yes, the light within me is within others & needs to be shared - volunteering in a women's prison, teaching to runners, teaching to anyone. Just sharing. I also walked my daughter home from kindergarten, reconnected with friends, and made hundreds of new ones. Time is precious, and it's the biggest gift you can give.

My daily life is public relations. I've always loved to "sell for free" - and when others pushed me to try sales, I knew it wasn't in my nature. It's passion, and it's personal. If I believe in a cause, watch out - it's like a steam engine. So PR is my lifeblood - a way to touch others with a message. I don't take on clients who have ulterior motives, or who are in business for the wrong reasons, or who don't have a story (although, I can bring out a story in just about anyone!)

People ask me sometimes, especially in racing (one industry where I have clients), what's the 'secret' to good PR and clients? I'd have to say it's the mentality of the message in 'Eat, Pray, Love." So without further adieu...

Top 5 Ways to Bring Eat, Pray, Love to Your Business through PR

1) Treat your clients, or customers, or employees - like you would your family. Would you forget your husband's birthday? Or not call your parents on a holiday to wish them a happy day? Simple rule, everyone needs to be remembered.

2) Being a human means becoming a human being. Wha? Yep, you need to be conscious, not walking around with the outside world a blur. How can you be good in business, if you can't feel what's in your heart, buzzing through your veins, beating, breathing in and out - every day?

3) Your client's goal is like your wedding. It has to be the most special, prized, amazing thing to finally become realized - after months of planning, thought, precious detail. Help them execute it, and find their wildest dreams come true. How can you not celebrate even the smallest achievements, when even the smallest achievements & milestones are important?

4) Take 30 minutes, every day, and devote it to your personal fulfillment & dreams. Whether you meditate, pray, find stillness or sit on a front porch in silence - it will make you recharged & on point for your clients, your business, your employees, your family. If you can't learn to be 'at home' in your own body, it's hard to ever 'come home' to anyone else or 'leave home' to serve others.

5) Great lead in to my last tip - serve others. Yes, if that means go volunteer, rock the world - go out there! But in a simpler term, treat everyone as if it's serving others. If you're in business just to make money, or buy a massive house, or own a pro NFL team, etc - that's great, but someday, it's going to crash around you in lack of personal fulfillment. When you build your business by asking, "how can I serve you? Where can I help?", you're on your way to satisfaction in what you do. At that point, it doesn't matter your title, your job, your place on this earth - you're just happy in the giving.

So what are you waiting for? I guess this means I need to put 'Eat, Pray, Love' on my date night list with my husband...but again, EPL every day. Then you can live it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment